Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted.
- P. B. Shelley

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Poetry for a Breaking Heart

This blog is entitled Something About Poetry, but as of yet, I have not posted a single poetic thing! So I suppose that this moment of sleeplessness at 2 o'clock in the morning provides an excellent opportunity for me to do so. Especially since my unrequited love has been haunting me afresh as of late. And whenever that happens, I find that scrolling through listings of relatable poems and having a good cry is immensely relieving. Perhaps at another time, I'll go into greater detail about this one-sided love, and try to relate just exactly how it feels. It is difficult to understand the pain of it if you've never experienced unrequited love before. But for now, I will let others express it for me.

All the love,

<3 Ashlynne

I watched
the rain today;
studied close, as it
collided
with the pavement,
and dispersed,
and it
reminded me
of the way I
fell into you;
helplessly
hopelessly
and in eternity;
the whole
of my self,
crashing down
and becoming
lost
in you,
while your attention was
ever occupied
by every other
drop
of water
that floated
so lightly
down
to kiss your skin.

--Unknown

*      *      *

Bring me your suffering.
The rattle roar of broken bones.

Bring me the riot in your heart.
Angry, wild and raw.

Bring it all.

I am not afraid of the dark.

--Mia Hollow

*      *      *

I thought
I knew what
real pain felt like
but I didn't
until I saw the way
you looked at her

--Unknown

*       *       *

Sonnet XVII

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforward, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way 

than this: where I do not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

--Pablo Neruda

*       *       *

There I was, way off my ambitions, getting deeper in love every minute.

--F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

*       *       *

If I loved you less I might be able to talk about it more.

--Jane Austen

*      *       *

There
are fires,
vast and endless,
that burn in me 
for you.
And I will
carry them until
you are ready
to walk through
the flames of me.

--William c. Hannan

*        *        *

Dyslexia

There were letters I wrote you that I gave up sending, long before I stopped writing. I don't remember their contents but I can recall with absolute clarity, your name scrawled across the pages. I could never quite contain you to those messy sheets of blue ink. I could not stop you from overtaking everything else.

I wrote your name over and over--on scraps of paper, in books and on the backs of my wrists. I carved it like sacred markings into trees and the tops of my thighs. Years went by and the scars have vanished but the sting has not left me. Sometimes when I read a book, parts will lift from the pages in an anagram of your name. Like a code to remind me it's not over. Like dyslexia in reverse.

--Lang Leav



No comments:

Post a Comment